Geraldton Mining Scholarship
In 2011 MMG Golden Grove announced a new scholarship which commenced in 2012, created to recognise the contribution of the Geraldton community in support of over 20 years of operation at Golden Grove.
The scholarship is intended to encourage and support local Geraldton students to complete a university degree in a mining and resources related field.
In its second year MMG intends to award two scholarships to encourage and assist two students from a Geraldton secondary school to complete a university degree in: Mining Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Metallurgy or geology, on outstanding results on the completion of Year 12.
The scholarship will provide the recipient with an annual financial contribution to assist the recipient to further their tertiary studies in a mining related discipline.
It will also provide the recipient with the opportunity to gain practical experience in their selected field, through paid vacation placements with MMG during the course of their studies.
Applications for 2013 close Saturday 12 January 2013.
The annual value of the each scholarship is $5,000 per year, for three years. If the relevant course is longer than three years in duration, MMG may at its discretion extend the scholarship for the duration of the course.
Additional student opportunity
Recipients of the scholarship are provided with the opportunity to undertake one period, of a maximum of 12 weeks, paid vacation work experience with the company during university semester breaks.
The recipient may be offered the opportunity to undertake a second period of vacation work experience with the company at MMG’s discretion.
MMG also has an established graduate program that the recipient will be encouraged to apply for on completion of their studies.
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship, an applicant must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia;
- have undertaken at least the final year of secondary education at a Geraldton secondary school;
- be a resident of the Midwest region;
- meet the admission requirements and be enrolled or eligible to enrol in the one of the following undergraduate courses at a Western Australian university: Mining Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Metallurgy or Geology.
Body responsible for selection
MMG Selection Committee
Applicants will be assessed on the following criteria:
- academic achievement as evidenced by their academic record;
- non-academic ventures;
- a written recommendation by secondary school reference; and or employer;
- a written statement (500 words max) outlining:
a) the benefit they will obtain from the scholarship
b) community involvement and contribution
c) willingness to be involved in promotional activities in relation to this scholarship
d) genuine desire to work in the mining and resources industry; and
- the selected course meets a mining and resources skills shortage area.
- Selection of the recipient is made by the MMG Selection Committee having regard to the applicant’s completed application form and supporting documentation.
- The selection committee may interview short-listed applicants.
- The successful applicants will be notified by MMG mid February 2013.
- The successful applicant will be asked to sign a legally binding contract containing the terms of the scholarship.
- The selection decision is at the complete discretion of the MMG Selection Committee and while the Committee may provide reasons for an unsuccessful application, it is under no obligation to do so.
- Applications must be submitted in writing by the advertised closing date.
- Applications must be made on the application form (available via the online form below, as a Word document or from the MMG Community Relations Advisor in the Geraldton office) and address the selection criteria. It must be accompanied by:
a) a brief curriculum vitae (no more than two pages), including details of present and previous work experience/community activity where applicable; and
b) written statement of 500 words maximum
c) where applicable, the names and contact details of a school and/or work experience referee.
- Applications must be submitted using one of the following methods:
Complete your application using our online application form.
If you are unable to complete the online application form, please download the Geraldton Mining Scholarship Application Form (Doc, 73Kb) and submit via:
Provide a hard copy to:
MMG Golden Grove Port Operations, Community Relations and Bayalgu Pre-employment Training Program Office
399 Marine Terrace
Geraldton WA 6530
Office hours are 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday.
T +61 8 9956 4132 M +61 467 771 081
Attention: Community Relations Advisor
MMG Golden Grove
399 Marine Terrace
Geraldton Western Australia 6530
The scholarship is payed in two annual instalments, one on or after each of the first and second semester census dates. The recipient must provide evidence of full-time enrolment each semester.
Criteria for continuation of scholarship
1. Continuation of the scholarship is subject to the recipient:
a) making satisfactory progress in accordance with the rules for the course; and
b) remaining enrolled full-time in the course for which the scholarship is awarded.
2. If a student does not meet the criteria for continuation of the scholarship, the MMG Selection Committee may terminate or suspend the scholarship, unless in its opinion there are exceptional circumstances which prevented the student from meeting these criteria.
The scholarship must not be held concurrently with any other scholarship.