Training and development
We aspire to form a partnership with each person in the organisation which engages them to contribute towards achieving our company’s vision as well as developing personally. Our people principles are built on our values of safety, integrity, action and results.
Our people programs
Our employees want more than a job. They want to learn, improve their mix of skills and be given challenges and opportunities to grow and develop in their areas of expertise and interest. Our current programs include:
Our My Performance Program has been developed to meet the needs of both the company and
our employees. It sits at the heart of our people programs.
Clarifying job roles, defining individual accountabilities, providing opportunities for development and
recognition are key features of this program.
My Performance is an integrated program that links the development and management of our
employees and their work to our overall business objectives. The program has been organised
under four headings that describe each component.
1. My Job - Describes every aspect of an employee’s job including accountabilities, skills, behaviours and knowledge required.
2. My Commitment - Individual objectives are set by the employee and manager for the calendar year ahead. These objectives form the basis for your formal performance review at the end of the year.
3. My Development - Feedback is provided on individual strengths and areas for improvement. The outcome of this discussion is the employee’s development plan.
4. My Contribution - Formal assessment of your performance and contribution over the previous 12 months.
Success Through Every Person (STEP) Program
We are committed to building a culture based on high performing teams delivering on our business plan.
The goal of the Success Through Every Person (STEP) program is to engage and develop our people so that they can develop personally and contribute to our vision and mission.
The program continues to be progressively delivered across the company and aims to
- create a common language amongst all employees, increasing understanding and efficiency;
- develop an energised and engaged workforce;
- provide a robust model of managerial accountability and authority to drive high performance and single point accountability; and
- develop enhanced skills in teamwork and team leadership.
The program recognises that an organisation must address four enablers to deploy its strategic plan:
- Structure - the positioning, definition and alignment of roles;
- Systems - the A class systems designed to achieve productive purposes;
- People Capability - the skills, knowledge, experience, wisdom, temperament, values and mental processing ability of its employees; and
- Culture - the way we do things in our organisation on a day-to-day basis.
It is the combination of these enablers that is at the heart of the STEP Program.
The STEP tools provide employees with a common language to ensure everyone is:
- clear on what any task requires
- able to identify critical issues and develop solutions
- aware of how diversity contributes to high performing teams
To embed these tools we encourage employees to:
- Visibly use the tools and engage in discussion about them
- Coach their teams in the use of the tools
- Coach their colleagues in the use of the tools
- Look for ways to improve how we use the tools
We have implemented a range of training programs across our sites to ensure adequate competencies at all levels among employees and contractors.
Training programs include:
- Competency-based training for operators of specialised equipment
- Cultural awareness sessions
- Diversity training
- Nationally accredited frontline management training to develop supervisory and leadership skills
- Nationally accredited metalliferous training for on-site operational training
- Site and safety inductions
- Specific discipline training – provided to individuals off-site including conferences and workshops in areas such as stockpile management, project management, plant management and carbon management.