The Mutoshi Project is a copper and cobalt exploration prospect that shows potential for a large scale, oxide open pit mining operation. It is located 10km east of the mining centre of Kolwezi in the Katanga Province of the DRC.
MMR has a 70% equity interest in the project with the DRC owned mining company Gecamines owning the remaining 30%.
Mining operations and HMS plant commissioning at the Mutoshi Project commenced in 2005. Operations reached design capacity of 50 tonnes per hour for production of 4,500-5,000 tonnes of copper concentrate per month in 2006 following the installation of the scrubber and larger screen. However, during the fourth quarter of 2008, HMS processing activities ceased and the Mutoshi Project was placed on care and maintenance.
Further exploration and infill drilling is required before a Mineral Resource estimate can be established. In addition, further metallurgical testing and process engineering is required. An in-fill drilling program is being planned, the objective of which is to define sufficient near-surface oxide copper and cobalt mineralization to enable evaluation of development options.
Kinsevere is a copper mine located in the Katanga Province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Africa.