Water balance model
Golden Grove has recently started utilising a predictive water balance model that incorporates changing water inflows, outflows, usage and climatic conditions.
The Golden Grove predictive water balance is essentially a mathematical model that contains equations that represents water movement across site.
Encapsulating water movements and hydrological processes in a predictive water balance model can provide a powerful predictive tool which provides the ability to:
- evaluate strategies for optimum use of limited water supplies;
- establish effective procedures for limiting site discharge and complying with regulatory discharge requirements;
- estimate the site water requirements, water storage facility capacities and future storage requirements;
- limit or control erosion due to flow over exposed surfaces or in channels and creeks;
- forecast future potential water management issues and allow time to react to those issues early to prevent them from arising.
Predictive water balances also allow for effective pre-mining prediction, evaluation, design, mine operation modelling and control, closure planning and design, and post-closure maintenance.
The Golden Grove predictive water balance model is already making a positive contribution towards water management improvement projects across site.