Sepon is an open pit, copper and gold mining operation in southern Laos.
Lane Xang Minerals Limited (LXML) is the registered name of the company which operates Sepon. Lane Xang is Lao for “one million elephants”, a historical name for the kingdom of Laos. MMG owns 90% of LXML, while the Lao Government owns the other 10%.
The Sepon copper operation commenced production in 2005 and by early 2011 a copper expansion project had lifted annual production capacity from approximately 65,000 tonnes to 80,000 tonnes per annum of copper cathode.
Sepon’s copper cathode typically attracts a premium over the London Metals Exchange (LME) copper price
due to the high quality of the product, the project’s proximity to customers and the reliability of supply.
In the fourth quarter 2011, the LME issued a formal notice confirming that ’Sepon’ brand copper cathode had been listed as Copper – Grade A brand, eligible for delivery to LME-approved warehouses.
The Sepon gold project yielded its first gold and silver doré in December 2002. In early 2005, an expansion of the original gold processing facility was completed, doubling the capacity of the gold processing plant to 2.5 million tonnes of ore per annum.
Since the commencement of operations, the Sepon gold operation has produced over 1.2 million ounces of gold through open pit mining and conventional treatment of oxide gold ore.
MMG ceased gold operations in December 2013 due to depleting ore reserves and lower margins. The gold plant has been placed on care and maintenance while the Sepon operation focuses on copper production.
The Sepon mine is located in Vilabouly district, Savannakhet province.
It operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.
Sepon is a closed site and does not provide tours.
Sepon’s administrative functions are managed out of the Vientiane office.
MMG House, Bourichanh Road, Sisattanak District,
PO Box 4486, Vientiane Capital Lao PDR
T (021) 268 200
F (021) 268 201
The Vientiane office operates from 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
Robin Hamilton Coates
External Relations Manager
General Manager Sepon
Contact us form
||Located in Savannakhet province, southern Laos, approximately 40 kilometres north of the town of Sepon.
||Copper cathode, gold doré.
|Current mine life
||Copper: approximately 2020
Gold: approximately 2013
full-time equivalent as at 31 December 2012
|4,907 employees and contractors
||Open pit mining
||Copper: Whole-of-ore leach, solvent extraction-electrowinning (SX-EW)
Gold: Conventional carbon-in-leach
as at 30 June 2012
|1.4 million tonnes copper
4.4 million ounces gold
20.9 million ounces silver
as at 30 June 2012
|0.1 million tonnes copper
0.3 million ounces silver
0.0 million ounces gold
||Copper cathodes are transported via road and sea to manufacturers of cable, wire and tube in South-east Asia.
Gold doré bars are transported by air freight to a refinery in Australia where they are refined into gold bullion. The refined gold is subsequently sold to financial institutions.